Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Dad's Stir Fry

Ever since I was little, my dad has made stir fry. Veggies and chicken over rice. It always sounded really simple, but I was never able to get it to taste like Dad's. Last year I asked my Dad if he would come over and teach me how to make it. It went well, but I tried it later on and something wasn't right. So, I asked Dad to teach me again this last Monday, and I made it tonight. It. Was. AWESOME!! JUST like Dad's!! I completely spaced out and failed to take pictures of things in process, but I got a picture of the end product.

Ingredients I used:
1 steamable bag of broccoli
1 steamable bag of broccoli/cauliflower {I really like the broccoli in this dish}
1 yellow zucchini
1 green zucchini
2 containers whole mushrooms {quartered - I really like the mushrooms too, Dad used one container}
1 package boneless/skinless chicken thighs {cut into bite-sized pieces}
1 can of diced tomatoes {only because I forgot to buy a tomato}
1/3 c teriyaki sauce
1/3 c soy sauce
1/3 c water {combine with teriyaki and soy sauces}

I heated oil in a pan over high heat and cooked the chicken until almost done, then added the broccoli and cauliflower {that had been steamed according to the directions on the bag} and added some of the liquids. I stirred it and let it cook for a couple of minutes with the cover on. Then I added the zucchini, more liquid, stirred and covered it again for a couple of minutes. Next I added the mushrooms and tomatoes and the rest of the liquid and - you guessed it - stirred and covered. After those two minutes I took off the cover and smelled awesomeness! I tasted a piece of broccoli {they are my favorite} and it was perfect! YUMMY!! Serve over rice.


p.s.
I had the bottle of soy sauce on the table because I wasn't sure if the mixture I used was going to be flavorful enough for me, but it was! You can certainly use more or less depending on your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment